C H A R I T Y

My Mission President told me once that charity = love+sacrifice. I've thought a lot about that since, as charity is something I've really tried to develop on my mission. If I love the Lord, what am I willing to sacrifice for Him? If I love my investigators, or companion, or family, friends, neighbors, etc... how do I sacrifice for them? We know that Heavenly Father loves us, and so He sacrificed His Only Begotten Son, Jesus Christ. Jesus Christ loves us and so He willingly gave His life for ours. This is the most incredible charitable act ever preformed. Ether 12: 33-34 "And again, I remember that thou hast said that thou hast loved the world, even unto the laying down of thy life for the world, that thou mightest take it again to prepare a place for the children of men. And now I know that this love which thou hast had for the children of men is charity; wherefore, except men shall have charity they cannot inherit that place which thou hast prepared in the mansions of thy Father".

Moroni teaches, "... if ye have not charity, ye are nothing, for charity never faileth. Wherefore, cleave unto charity, which is the greatest of all, for all things must fail—But charity is the pure love of Christ, and it endureth forever; and whoso is found possessed of it at the last day, it shall be well with him. Wherefore, my beloved brethren, pray unto the Father with all the energy of heart, that ye may be filled with this love, which he hath bestowed upon all who are true followers of his Son, Jesus Christ; that ye may become the sons of God; that when he shall appear we shall be like him, for we shall see him as he is; that we may have this hope; that we may be purified even as he is pure. Amen".

In the new Easter video, #hallelujah, individuals share with us how they have "found new life" in Jesus Christ and through His Atonement. This Easter Sunday I was so blessed to be able to help Alfredo find new life in Jesus Christ as he entered into the waters of baptism. He was able to take part in the charity (love and sacrifice) offered to us by our Savior and Redeemer. We will all find new life in the resurrection, but we have to actively choose every day to find the new life offered to us here as we follow our Savior and His commandments. If we love Him, we will keep His commandments. If we love Him, we will sacrifice our "natural man" for blessings far greater than those temporal and temporary gratifications we get by giving in to the adversary. Wickedness never was happiness! If we love Him, then we will follow Him and our will will soon be enveloped by His will.  We have to trust Him and His timing, that's something I've learned a lot about on my mission. This is how we will develop charity.

I will continue to choose to follow Him every single day of my life. And I hope and pray that you will do the same!    

Hno. Ramirez (baptizer), Hno. Alfredo Martinez (baptizee), me, Hermana Emerson, and Hermana Fabian.

See you all soon :)

Con Amor,
Hermana Rutherford 

PS. my new email is: laura.c.rutherford@gmail.com